Dentures are a prosthetic that replaces your natural teeth. They come in several different styles, materials, and sizes. The most common type of denture is the partial denture. This set of artificial teeth replaces one or two of your natural teeth.
Partial dentures come in various shapes and sizes and can be made from plastic, metal, or porcelain. If you are looking for affordable dentures in London Ontario, you can consider getting dentures made of acrylic or resin. These materials are less expensive than metal or plastic dentures, but they may not last as long.
It is worth investing in a quality set if you plan on using your dentures for a long time. If you have any questions about what kind of denture is best for you, your dentist will be able to help you decide. If you are considering getting dentures, you should know a few things.
TYPES OF DENTURES
Generally, there are two types of dentures:
1. COMPLETE DENTURES
Also known as full dentures. It takes up the whole mouth instead of one or more teeth. They come in various shapes and sizes. These are mostly used by any one who has lost all his teeth. Complete dentures are typically classified into 2 types: “conventional” or “immediate”.
2. PARTIAL DENTURES
Removal Partial Dentures consist of replacement teeth attached to gum colored plastic braces. They are used to replace teeth that have been lost or damaged. Dentists mostly design these dentures depending upon your needs. They have some form of clasp that can be attached to your natural tooth.
There are a few things to keep in mind when choosing dentures:
- Make sure the dentures fit well. You may need to go for a fitting to find the right size.
- Dentures may need to be cleaned regularly. Clean them with soap and water, or use an antibacterial cleaner.
- If you always wear dentures, you will need to ensure you have enough toothpaste and a toothbrush.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I NEED DENTURES?
You may need dentures if you have lost teeth due to disease or injury. Dentures can be custom-made to fit your mouth perfectly and help you feel more comfortable.
There are a few things to look for when deciding if you need dentures:
- Are your teeth missing entirely or just partially? If only a few teeth are missing, you may be able to get by with retainers (a type of false tooth). If all of your teeth are gone, you will need dentures.
- Are the spaces where your teeth used to be tight and sore? This is a sign that you need dentures because the gaps between your teeth create pockets of air that can cause pain and infection.
- Have you tried using dental floss and gum tissue to fill the gaps? This will help “cover” the tooth and prevent it from decaying, but it is not as lasting as a complete set of teeth.
- Do you have difficulty chewing or swallowing? Chewing with missing teeth can be difficult, and eating can be challenging. Swallowing food can also be problematic if the space between your front teeth is too large.
ARE DENTURES AS GOOD AS TEETH?
Most people believe that dentures are as good as teeth. Dentures are made of plastic, metal, or other materials and are fitted over the teeth. They work the same way as teeth do and can help people eat, speak, and smile with confidence. Dentures can last a long time and may be necessary for people who have lost their teeth or have a disease that makes it challenging to keep their teeth clean.
IS THERE ANY ALTERNATIVE TO DENTURES?
Dentures are the most common and popular form of oral replacement. They come in various materials, including plastic, metal, and wood. Dentures are made to fit the individual’s mouth perfectly and provide complete oral hygiene. However, there are alternatives to dentures that may be more suitable for individuals depending upon their needs.
Alternative forms of oral replacement include:
- Partial dentures, which cover only part of the teeth
- Removable prostheses, which are devices that look like natural teeth and can be attached to titanium frames or other materials
- Dental implants: That are surgical devices placed into the jawbone and provide a permanent foundation for teeth.
- Each option has its advantages and disadvantages, so it is essential to discuss your options with a dentist before making a decision.
HOW PAINFUL ARE DENTURES?
Dentures can be pretty painful, depending on the type and size of the denture. Smaller dentures may not feel as uncomfortable as larger ones. In the beginning dentures may never feel as comfortable as your natural tooth. If dentures are causing severe pain or do not fit well, it is best to see a dentist or oral surgeon.
HOW MUCH DENTURES COST IN ONTARIO?
Dentures can range in price from around $600 to over $10,000. Prices will vary depending on the type and quality of dentures and where they are purchased.
WHICH IS BETTER, DENTURE OR BRIDGE?
Dentures and bridges are two different types of dental implants. Dentures are replacements for teeth that have been lost. Bridges are temporary, removable dental prostheses that bridge the gap between two missing teeth. Dentures and bridges both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Let’s take a look at few points to determine which is better for you.
A denture is recommended when:
- You have multiple teeth lost.
- Your teeth are not strong.
- You are worried about cost.
On the other hand you can go for dental bridge treatment if:
- You have lost few teeth.
- You want your new teeth to look natural.
- Your teeth are strong to support dental bridge.
HOW MUCH DO DENTURES COST IN CANADA?
Dentures can be costly in Canada, depending on the type and manufacturer. In general, metal dentures cost more than resin or plastic dentures. Additionally, custom-made dentures can be pretty pricey. Often, prices will start at around CAD 2,000 for bare metal dentures.
If you want to save money on dentures, consider buying off-the-shelf models. These tend to be cheaper than custom-made dentures and last longer, too. You can also look into discount dental clinics offering lower dentures prices.
DO DENTURES MAKE YOUR MOUTH DRY?
Dentures can make your mouth dry, but there are a few things you can do to keep it comfortable:
- Ensure that you are using the fitting denture for your mouth. If you have dentures that are too small or too large, they will cause discomfort and dryness.
- Keep your denture clean. Cleaning it with soap and water daily will help prevent bacteria from building up and causing dryness.
- Drink plenty of fluids to keep your mouth hydrated.
WHAT DOES PER ARCH MEAN IN DENTURES?
Dentures are often referred to as “per arch” appliances because the arch on one side of the denture is connected to the arch on the other side by a thin wire or metal frame. This connection ensures that teeth move in their natural direction and is essential for chewing and swallowing.
Dentures are a long-term solution to replace teeth that have been lost or damaged. They come in many different shapes and sizes and can be made from different materials, including metal, plastic, or ceramic. There are various ways to fit dentures, and they can be removable or permanent. Dentures help to restore the appearance of your smile and can help you eat more comfortably.